So if bad news is good is good news bad? That seems to be the case as an initial pop on the back of better than expected data was used as a selling opportunity. Although the markets were able to put together their first 4 day winning streak since June, they finished well off the highs. Though the 4 day rally cannot be discounted, this month of August was the worst for stocks in 10 years.
With today’s high bears now have a clear level to get short against, 1,230 on the S&P500. We love situations like these where the market clearly gets turned away from a round number level because now we know where our risk is. From a short bias, the risk is that if SPX breaks above 1,230 it will set up for a test of 1,250 — a previous support level. After the rally we’ve seen though we think the market needs to do some back-testing of previous resistance to see if they can provide support. The main range we’ll be watching on SPX is 1,170 – 1,185 as this range acted as resistance last week so we’re interested to see if it can now become support.
Did you know that you can watch Stockhaven trade live in real time?
Learn how to daytrade by watching someone else trade! Watchhimtrade.com is the only site that lets you look over the shoulder of a professional daytrader.
Watch this video now where he shows you how it’s possible to make 100% in just 5 minutes!
- SH @ the close 10/3/2011: Markets crack under pressure, bulls look exhausted
- Stockhaven @ the close 8/15/2011: Markets put first 3 day winning streak together in over a month
- Stockhaven @ the close 8/16/2011: 3-day winning streak comes to a halt
- SH @ the close 9/16/2011: Markets extend winning streak to 5 days
- SH @ the close 12/6/2011: 200 day caps rally; copper stabilizing; using a straddle